Friday, September 30, 2005

Cleanin' Time...

In Japanese schools they clean at around 3 o'clock in the arvo. That is, we clean the school. Sorry - the pupils, the pupils clean the school.

Right now there are first graders sweeping and vacuuming the corridors. There are more first graders emptying the bins. There are second graders hanging precariously over the ledges cleaning the outsides of the windows on the second floor (second graders mind you - this is not a job for a first grader, ho no!). Every afternoon I am cleaned up after by a thirteen year old. It feels wierd. Though slightly satisfying I must admit. The spectacular thing is that the students don't seem to mind. In fact, they're positively chipper.

Of course I try to help out: I move my chair for them so they can get to those 'hard to reach' places under my desk; I tactfully avoid walking through the accumulated sweepings; I also refrain from beating them when they fail to tug their forlock at me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think its the genki music that gets 'em movin. I can't believe how labor intensive the mopping is. GET A BROOM HANDLE!!

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home