Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Disestablishmentarianism? Why, yes....

Yesterday was the 'Establishment Ceremony'. I know this because alot of men were wearing suits and ties, which is never a good sign. I noticed this because I wasn't. "Sensei, why is everyone wearing a suit or tie?" "Ah geoff-san" she replied "today is establishment ceremony. Must be dressed properly. Very important day. Lessons this afternoon are cancelled. It is in twenty minutes. Where is geoff-san tie?"

This has happened to everone I know. The teacher will tell you about these extremely important events minutes before they are due to happen and then be aghast that you are not prepared. I ended up sitting through three hours of concerts and speeches wearing a borrowed garish beige and white check tie that utterly failed to speak to either my dark blue shirt or my black shoes.

It happened again this afternoon. Next week the students are having their mid term exams. It's been on the calendar since last year, indeed you might say it was annual.
This morning: "Geoff-san. For your exam paper could you base it on lessons 8-11?"
Me: "What? Er, so, do you want me to write an exam paper. For next week?"
"Yes."
"Oh. OK. Some notice would have been nice."

I seem to have been asked to my welcome party. October 12th apparantly. "You come, drinking party. Welcome you. October 12. Thank you" I had been wondering if I was going to go to an enkai and at last I have ('snotfair, everybody else has had one!). More about that later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Boysters said...

Ah yes. I know the feeling! It's a constant adventure for the first year as you have absolutely no idea what is going to happen from the moment you get up in the morning.
Having said that I'm a second year and still coming a-cropper!

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you get a weeks notice on exam papers? you lucky bastard! usually one of my teachers runs up in a flap a day before saying "i forgot to make exam paper! very busy today! please make!"

yes, usually i am dicking about on the internet but i resent the fact that it is generally assumed that i do cock-all all day...

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home