Friday, April 21, 2006

Long Walk, Short Bus

This hour commute. Wrenched out of Koshi. Is this my punishment for staying only one year?

Last Thursday I got up at 6.15am, was on the train by 7.30am, and at Komadori school by 8.15am. I read for an hour and a half, waiting for my lesson. I 'taught' for 30 minutes and then read for a further hour until I had to leave for my tram. I didn't just sit around; I did actually get up and wander around the school, trying to bump into some other students or teachers to shoot the breeze and spread the English love. But no, I found only empty draughty corridors.

For the first twenty minutes of my arrival I had to discuss the lesson plan for the day with one of the four or five other teachers (i.e.tell him what it would be). But, we hit a snag -- he looks concerned, then confused. "A minute..." he says, jumping up suddenly cheery. He goes over to a door and opens it up to a walk-in cupboard. He rummages around, slowly disappearing into the dark and dust. Out comes a big old brown box, and another. Finally he emerges with another big old brown box, bound with disintegrating tape. He roots around inside, finds what he is looking for and takes out a small white package. Out of this he slips two slim and stained volumes. "Again," he says, "please say once more..." and he flips open the school's English dictionary...

My planned activity was the "My name is/how are you?" game, as it was last week, and indeed will be next week. You'll see why - it goes like this:

Me: "Hello!"

JTE: "Hello!"

Student: "Nnnnng"

Me: "My name is Geoff, what is your name?"

Student: "Nnnnnng nnnng"

Me: "Ah. How are you...um......Kodo?"

Student: "...nnnnng..."

JTE [Japanese]: "How are you?"

Student ...dribble...

Me: "Iiiii'm..."

Student: "Nnnnnng......nnnnng.............nng"

JTE: "Fine! He is fine!"

JTE: "Now ask Geoff-sensei, 'how are you?'"

Student: "...."

JTE: "How...."

Student: "...nnnnnnnnnnnnnng"

Me: "Great! Well done, have a tiger sticker! you're a tiger!"

JTE: "Tiger!"

Student: "Nng!"

Me: "Right, next! Yuki, my name is....

6 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

straight to hell geoff. Straight to some hilarious 11th circle of hell.

2:21 AM  
Blogger Bunny said...

The only thing funnier is listening to you make the retarded Japanese child sounds in person.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Geoff said...

Thanks Bunny. Tell the nice folks back home that I dont do that. Go on...

6:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home