Monday, October 24, 2005

Komrade!

If I were a Japanese school kid I'd have snapped a long time ago. I surely wouldn't be the straight, successfull, and good-looking chap I am today.

I was walking into the main station this morning to get my train to school and there were teachers strategically located around the concourse pulling kids to the side now and then to straighten ties and button jackets. Several girls were being told to pull down the hems of their skirts (which they pull up to cheek level). Seriously, it's 8.02am, surely this is THEIR time.

I got off the train in Kureha and there are my teachers doing the same thing. I asked my boss what the hell was going on. Apparently it's a decree from the education board that states there should be 'Greeeting Days' every now and then to "improve students manner" outside of school. I'm reading a book at the moment about the battle of Stalingrad and I can help but think of comparisons with the NKVD (Soviet military police).

I feel great this morning - three cups of coffee will do that to you. I also feel a little twitchy, but as long as the kids don't notice it's all good. Of course I'll probably crash at around 10am and get the stares, wondering what it's all about and why I'm here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ONLamp 2005 Survey Preliminary Results
We run a short survey every year to understand our readers. We use this information to change the topics we cover and to present our content more effectively.
Find out how to buy and sell anything, like things related to quality assurance highway construction on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like quality assurance highway construction!

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home