Wednesday, March 08, 2006

"We've made as much ground as an asthmatic ant with a heavy load of shopping."

I have just discovered the limit of the leeway that my boss will give me. Generally teachers here either wear a tracksuit or a suit to school. I however seem to be allowed to wear shirtsleeves, or just a tie, or even just a sports-coat/jumper combination. Today, however, my limit was reached. The following conversation will also give you an insight into the Japanese mentality. Translations in italics.

"Hayashi-sensei, why are all the chaps wearing suits and ties today - even the PE teacher?"
why, yet again, do I arrive at school and see everybody dressed up again, and why did nobody tell me, again?

"Ah Geoff-san. Today is entrance exams. We look our best, make a good, ah, a good..."

"...impression?"

"yes, a good impression on new students"

"I see, maybe it would be good to know when we have to dress up, so that I could also dress smartly"
I'm getting a bit pissed-off that nobody tells me anything around here, whats wrong with you people?

"You do not have to dress up. Maybe you are in here? "
You are not involved - it doesn't really matter. But dont go wandering around okay?


A little later...


"Geoff-san, ne, you are a young man!" What the hell are you doing?

"Well, you know, I try..." What now? Um, best make like I dont know...

"You have short sleeves, and arms!" You're wearing a t-shirt

"Oh, yes, well, it's pretty warm in here today" Damn, I bloody knew it!

"Ah, maybe, maybe it is warm...." Not really, look at me, I am wearing three layers. Do you see me stripping off?

"No t-shirt then eh? Not good?" Seriously?

"...hehehehehe" wanders off... yes, put your sweater back on you scruffbag

1 Comments:

Blogger Winesoaked Buddha said...

I had the same sleeve issues the other day. Everyone was like, 'you bery young'. My reply, "I'm not young, I'm hot and overweight (in Japanese)". For christ sake, these people even decide whether they are hot or cold together. Today's solution: tracksuit.

3:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home