Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Good News For People Who Love No News

Emily Laurie complained to me the other day that no-one updates their blogs anymore. For the past two years I have blogged at least once a week on average. Those of my friends who keep blogs have more or less kept as up-to-date. Recently however they've fallen off, as have I.

My only excuse for this has been a complete lack of interesting things happening in my life. Right now I am waiting for my visa for the U.S. and Robin. At this very moment I am waiting for two members of my team at work to get back to me with their work so that I can work with those on my own work. Then I'll be waiting for the bus home. Then I'll be waiting for bedtime. Then I'll be waiting for the bus again, to wait for my colleagues to send me their work, and then and then. What was the rush to leave Japan?

The only aberrations in my recently dull life have been the very occasional bouts of drunkenness, but even these seem to be waning and deteriorating in quality.
As I staggered home at some stupid hour a few weekends ago I fell over. Not a complete surprise I know, but I fell over on a flat bit of pavement. On nothing. I didn't just fall, I flew – I sprawled. As I lay there with my arms stretched out like some sidewalk superman, a couple across the road called over to ask if I was okay. "Oh yeah," I replied from the floor, "Life is great." The next morning my mother held up my trousers, which I'd shed somewhere in the house: they were covered in mud, and I have no idea how.

The hangover cost of drinking is also starting to tell; these days it takes me two days of spaced-out meandering to recover. In Japan the regular hangover didn't really affect anything as work consisted of grading elementary-level English and reading aloud to a room of kids - all staring quizzically at the floor -about how Daisuke hoped he would "bear up and make my school, family, and the emperor proud." At the Welsh Assembly however people actually expect you to interact, and exchange ideas.

So I think I'm pretty much done with drinking.

Hang on - news just in: I had an excellent curry pie for lunch. Pie – with curry in it! Yes indeed.

You see? Nothing.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1st; you should be happy you just fall down when you are drunk. last week i feel down in the street twice, both times during the day, both times completely sober, both times london people just walked past looking embarassed.
2nd; i hope my birthday isnt included in the deteriorating drunken fun.
x

8:17 PM  
Blogger Geoff said...

Londoners even noticed you enough to be embarassed? You must have fallen over spectacularly.

And no Lurie, your birthday was sweet - it's in the next blog.

You heard it here first folks!

9:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Maybe it's just the winter/spring lergy everywhere. My drinking has decreased. I have a house and sometimes I cook dinner. Charity show practice is long and painful. I understand some of what is going on around me, and then the grunting of ahhhhh ungh ungh in the staffroom gets to be too much and I stop paying attention again. Sakura will make it better, right?

shaz

3:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home