Monday, July 03, 2006

"...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped"

I had my last ever lessons last Monday. I had been looking forward to it for quite some time. In fact, in my diary I marked the day with one word: "Freedom"

1st Grade commucation activity presentations were scheduled for that day. A communication activity is where I set a project, to be completed over the last ten minutes of four lessons, culminating in a 'performance' in front of the class. Activites include simple things like 'Holiday: You are in a foreign city. Hail a taxi, have a short conversation', or 'Commercials: write and present a commercial for an imaginary product. Go mad. Really." The idea is for the students to have fun with English because they have creative control. Unfortunately if you put three Japanese students up in front of the class they will do one, and sometimes all three, of the following: giggle continuously; stare at the floor while doing side-to-side head motions; or talk absolute nonsense, thanks to the wonderful electronic dictionaries the teachers encourage students to get.

Performance day is a very trying day in general. For my last day however I was determined to be cheerful - Hey! Not doing this again! Excellent mis-useage of that verb Kenji! Well done Yuka, good job staring at that floor! By the third lesson I had welts on my palms from my own nails, but, it was my last ever lesson so I persevered. At the end of each lesson that day the JTE asked me if I had any final advice for the kids. Well, yes, actually. Now, everyone, pay close attention...and I explained in very easy English with funny little cartoons on the board to illustrate why mixing up 'a' and 'the' can change the entire meaning of a sentence. Lots of staring. This happens a lot and whenever I try to explain anything. I tried to get the teacher to explain in Japanese, but, as always...

"OK. Sensei, I'm not sure they understood that. Could you explain in Japanese?"
"The students have understand."
"Hmm, no. You see I'm not sure they have understand, er, understood. I've explained this many times and they still get it wrong."
"No, they have understand, it is okay."
"Yes, but really, I dont think they have, and this is quite important, fundamental even..."
"Fun metal?"
"No, fundamental, funda- it's really important"
"It is okay, they have understand"
"...Well."

This is the standard response I get from JTEs and normally it riles me because if they don't/can't explain what I say to the student's understanding, then what really am I here for? Certainly not job satisfaction. However, it was my last lesson ever, I was fine with it, even expected it. Would have been odd not to get it.

At the end of the lesson all the English teachers suddenly appeared in the classroom, then the class leader stood up with a massive bunch of flowers he had been magically hiding under his desk. He came to the front and, staring at the floor and rubbing his eyes and scratching his head said "Geoff, sank you..eto...thank you teaching...sank you. Uhhhhh...thankyougoodbye" and gave me the flowers, a decorated piece of board with little messages from every student written on it, a bag of origami cranes with little messages inside them, and the prop he used for his commercial for 'Jom Juice' ("It high warm up forever drink!"). I swear I almost sniffled during the applause. Bloody kids.

Click for larger image.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bunny said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

The little snots always bring on a bit of the waterworks at the end, don't they? Well.

2:49 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I'm going to be so embarrassing on my last day. My waterworks tap is easily turned on! It's going to be a two-punch combo: sadness for leaving and joy for leaving. :'(

4:09 AM  
Blogger L and occasionally N said...

wow. 2 "i want to meet you again"s (cos clearly, they STILL don't know you...) and 1 "i don't know english". SCORE!

re teachers not explaining and just saying "they is understand". i find this is usually meant to mean "me JTE not understandy so me explain not can notting".

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home