Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Come friendly bombs and fall on Toyama

A friend of mine recently pointed out that it seems, from reading this blog, that I'm not having fun. Of course, I am; this is a wild and crazy experience which I wouldn't exchange for (almost) anything. It's just that it's easier, and more satisfying, to point out the wierd and annoying aspects of Japan - and make fun of them.

For example.

Toyama seems to have a bad reputation with foreigners. In fact it seems to have one with Japanese too - many have never heard of the home of the world's largest zip manufacturer (YKK), and if they have they pretend not to. I think I have worked out why this is, with foreigners at least: it's not the weather, which is generally atrocious, and it's not the scenery - which varies from depressing industrial wasteland to scrub to glorious mountain ranges to concrete monstrosities - but the people. And the reason I think it's the people is that the only people who talk to us outside of school are the drunk, or, the special. People. Toyama, as I have definitley already mentioned, has more than it's fair share of them.

Today on my way to school The Jumper was, as usual, jumping around all over the place. On my way home from school I sat in the little train station with the same three disabled chaps I do every day. As I got on the train I said my now customary hello to a very cheery special dude who everyday says hello and gets a kick out of me nodding and saying hello back. And I, of course, ride the special bus every thursday.

Now, take this chap who pulled up next to me at the lights on my way home from the station:

"Hello" he said,
"Well, hello to you"
"Hoonanoonanoo. Humanuhum godoo gudoo mumble mumble"
"Ah, well, yes. But I'm afraid I dont quite understand you"
"Yes yes thank you humberoo nana doo change the rifle korea china ryfu hunan minnypasses"
"Hmm. Still not getting it I'm afriad"
"Hunn hun minny passes changeru ryfu"
"Change of life did you say? Menopause?"
"Yes yes korea pepsi changer ryfu"
"Okay..."
"Hunun boomarunoo shibiba nommoramo"
"Ah, I see where you're going with this, but I'm afraid I don't entirely - oh look the light's changed, byeee"

After he said hello I recognised him from many a night out in 'town'. I'd always thought he was a raving drunk, but in the light of day riding a bike he seemed rather sober. But a little disturbed.

Of course, I'm a mere first-year. Given long enough I'll meet lots of lovely japanese people (and indeed I already have), but in the day to day grind the company seems, well, a little worrying.

1 Comments:

Blogger L and occasionally N said...

ooh ooh ooh, is this the guy with the teeth and the round face and the inane smile and the... teeth?

2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home