Friday, March 17, 2006

Sliiiide

The whole being-hit-by-a-car thing is turning into more of an inconvenience that I would have at first imagined. After a day of strange clicking noises coming from my knee and a total inability to bend my leg I went to see a chap behind Toyama station. A doctor that is, that's where his surgery is.

He prodded around a bit and suggested some X-rays and an MRI scan, all done within minutes of my arrival. The MRI part was my favourite. If only all things medical could be done with MRI; with the soft monotone thrubbing and dull beating noises I was soon drifting in and out of a very pleasant semi-consciousness. I wonder if they do them for the bedroom? I was told that the whole thing would take about half an hour, so before I was overtaken by the soothing noises I thought I'd do well to practice some of my lines for my part in the JET charity show.

"Hennatoko-te? Shiranai no? Ouji-sama no asobi nakama da yo. Haado Gei da yo ne---!" I tried first. "Koko wa Nippon de ichiban ookii shiro desu. Ichiban chiisai toyray, demo nana jou mo aroon desu yo!" I went on. Of course, I didn't get it totally right. After a bit I notice that the hot young nurses the other side of the dividing glass were looking at me strangely. I then realised what they were hearing, I imagine their conversation went something like this:

"What's that the tall handsome foreigner is saying?"
"Uh, something about being Hard Gay. Hang on, oh yes. He can't let Hard Gay into the biggest palace in Japan, which has a toilet 70 tatami mats big"
"Really? Handsome, strong, and witty he might be, but man - foreigners are strange..."

The number of times I hurt myself last night after banging my leg on something was ridiculous. I limped into the kitchen and hit my foot on the door, jumped back to avoid hitting the door again, causing more pain and hitting my head on the doorframe. Repeat x3 in different rooms. It's amazing what a desperate happy singing to yourself can do when you hurt yourself - "Happy place tra la la going to my happy place la la la laaaa..."

Thankfully the crutch the doctor provided was not necessary today as my leg seems not to hurt quite so much, which is a good thing as I'm going to South Korea tonight. It was however handy to take the crutch into work (have to go back to Doc's tonight) to guilt my totally unsympathetic supervisor. After I got to the police station the other night and realised how long it might take I 'phoned Robin. She in turn phoned my supervisor to let her know - just in case I needed some Japanese help or something, things that supervisors are for - and get her to phone me. "It is alright" she said "they have interpreter at police, he is alright." Robin had to persuade her to call me. It now seems I will have to go back to the police station as the 20,000 yen is not going to cover my medical bills AND my bike - my supervisor's response? "You should go back." Helpful. Thanks.


Gosh. That last paragraph wasn't at all humourous was it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home